Assistant Auto Mechanic
Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
April 14, 2021
Akwesasne, NY, United States
Job Code: 49-3023
Salary: $23,878.40- $43,804.80
Location: Facilities Maint. Shop
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor
Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor the Assistant Mechanic is responsible for and will perform general repairs and maintain Tribal fleet vehicles. Inventory and control assigned tools and equipment, manage vehicle related equipment and parts/ tool room, will orders necessary parts and materials needed to provide vehicle services:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Works on a variety of Tribal Vehicles, sedans, vans, trucks, fork lifts and motorized equipment.
- Performs general maintenance activities on vehicles as assigned, to include but not limited to oil changes, brake service, fuel line filter replacement and repair,
- Replaces, rotates, balances and repairs tires on all assigned vehicles, to include but not limited to over the road service for flats, boosting, and or towing as may be required,
- Repair, replaces light bulbs, headlights and safety signals, wiper blades, tops up fluids and services attachments for all assigned vehicles,
- Installs and removes seasonal equipment for vehicles, to include snow plow, blades, sanders an attachment, mowing equipment as needed,
- Service vehicle heating and cooling systems as needed to include testing and servicing of radiators Air Conditioning systems, fans, belts and pulleys,
- Maintains a tool inventory of assigned tools and equipment
- Maintains inventory of dispensable items and parts on hand, general supplies for service of vehicles to include but not limited to oils, anti freeze , windshield wiper fluid and blades, brakes rotors and brake pads,
- Operates and maintains general service of the fork lift, delivery to and from different locations as needed,
- Operates and maintains general service of the back hoe, delivery to and from different locations as needed,
- Cleans the general service area on a daily basis to ensure work area is free of hazards, spills excess debris, properly disposes removed parts and pieces from work performed on vehicles,
- Assists in completion of assigned work orders and forms, and paper work required to start, review, complete and close out work orders as issued, ensure accuracy of data noted on forms,
- Recommend to the Supervisor, service and or repair items on vehicles when inspection services are performed,
- Will attend training and or work related seminars as may be assigned,
Supervisory Responsibilities: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Diploma and or Certification form an accredited Collage and or Trade School or equivalent combination of education and experience, to include Education and Training in the Automotive field to include BOCES, On Line Certification program, Diagnostic and troubleshooting. Must have minimum 6 months general work experience, shop experience with relevant experience and/or training to include but not limited to tire changing and balancing use of diagnostic tools and programs and all levels of hand tool to effectively perform the job duties.
Other Skills and Abilities: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have computer skills including word, excel and research capacity for parts and materials, experience with varying parts databases is considered an asset.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.