Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
July 2, 2021
Akwesasne, NY, United States
POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED!
Job Code: 29-1031
Status: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Diabetes Center for Excellence
Department: Health Services- Medical Clinic
Reports To: Diabetes Center Supervisor
SUMMARY: Provides medical nutrition therapy for individuals through small and large group teaching, workshops, community-based campaigns and other special events as part of the Medical Clinic goals in diabetes and heart health care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Develop, implement and evaluate community-based health promotion activities with a key emphasis on nutritional health
- Applies sound behavioral health strategies in healthy lifestyle counseling
- Coordinates and conducts diabetes self-management and prevention education, with a focus on Medical Nutrition Therapy for individuals and groups
- Creates nutrition-based media messages for diabetes care, diabetes prevention and heart health
- Works with the diabetes nurse educator/case manager to implement and support diabetes case management and patient care, reflecting standards and guidelines of IHS, ADA, AADE, American Dietetic Association, etc.
- Collaborates with Diabetes Care Team members to plan strategies for patients seeking lifestyle modifications, e.g., weight loss/management, physical activity, stress reduction, relaxation techniques, smoking cessation, etc.
- Documents appropriate participant care as established by the program requirement sand within the Saint Regis Mohawk Health Services delivery system
- Participates to promote Best Practice strategies in nutrition, diabetes care, diabetes case management, and physical activity
- Works with all Department of Health Services to provide nutrition education for referrals from providers.
- Willing to obtain Certified Diabetes Educator credential
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisory duties
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to clearly demonstrate strengths in leadership, decision-making and effective problem-solving skills and sound application of behavioral health strategies.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition from an accredited college and credentialed by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and Possess a New York State license as a Registered Dietitian or willing to obtain within six months.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience documenting in an electronic health record system is preferred.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to offer effective problem-solving strategies for patients and staff. Possess a sound approach to conflict resolution and building team relationships.
Must be at least 21 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.