Mental Health Therapist
Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
January 1, 2021
Akwesasne, NY, United States
Division: Health Services, Mental Health
Job Code: 21-1014
Salary Range: $30,296.60 - 60,236.80 ($14.87-28.96)
Status: Full-time, permanent
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Under the direction of the Mental Health Services Director, the Mental Health Therapist will provide individuals and their families with counseling/psychotherapy services to promote optimum mental health.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Work within guidelines of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Mental Health Services policies and procedures, internal control standards, New York State Office of Mental Health regulations and standards of care by performing the following duties:
- Exhibit a friendly and courteous manner when dealing with clients, fellow employees and associates.
- Primary function is to direct psychotherapy or counseling to individuals and their families through individual, play, conjoint, family and group therapy via in person or tele-mental health modality.
- Interviews and assesses clients and their families regarding their mental health needs.
- Provide some select school and community programs consultation as need and availability allows.
- Responsible for sharing mobile and on-call emergency duty.
- Provide case management as necessary.
- Monitors, evaluates and records client progress according to measurable goals described in their treatment plans.
- Meets and consults with other members of the mental health treatment team, grant staff, and other service providers, including school personnel.
- Refers client and their families to community resources to assist in their recovery and to provide advocacy.
- Documenting client contact in RPMS Behavioral Health electronic record according to NYSOMH standards of care.
- Other duties as assigned.
There are no supervisor requirements for this position, however, at times Mental Health Therapist may have to take on supervisor duties when MH Director is not available.
New York State Licensure or eligibility for licensure, as a LMSW, LCSW or LMHC. Knowledge of mental health counseling/psychotherapy. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and Personal Health Information within Health Services, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
MSW, MSN, or a Master's degree in counseling, psychology, or health related field with the appropriate clinical experience in a mental health setting, or working towards obtaining Master degree within the next year. Experience working within the behavioral health field with youth and families. Familiarity with Akwesasne Community. Interest in obtaining additional training/education in Behavioral Health.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have good computer skills including, Word, and ability to navigate various scheduling and electronic health record programs. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process. Openness in working with traditional/spiritual approaches regarding behavioral health issues. Ability to do presentations, represent the mental health program and connect with people.
Maturity and ability to handle delicate role issues and to respond to crisis.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.