Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
November 26, 2020
Akwesasne, NY, United States
Job Code: 21-1093
Status: Full-time, non-exempt, temp
HLF Lead Mindfulness Instructor will plan and implement mindfulness programming, healthy lifestyle education and physical activity services as part of the HLF Team. Programs will be developed for youth, seniors, families, and adults in recovery. These services may encompass individual and group programming in a variety of times and settings; i.e. schools, treatment centers, wellness centers, health facilities, recreation centers with possible weekend, evening and after-school hours.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish a consistent personal practice that may include practicing with students and other participants
- Instruct groups or individuals in mindfulness practices and activities. Demonstrate techniques and inform of corrective measures necessary to improve skills. Offer modifications and alternatives to accommodate different levels of ability.
- Strictly adhere to all confidentiality and privacy protection policies associated with serving minors and clients in education, medical and social services facilities.
- Convert written information and resources into oral instruction appropriate for age and cognitive level of all participants.
- Provide information and resources to participants as needed through daily practice demonstrations
- Explain principles, techniques and safety procedures to program participants
- Demonstrate proper use of materials and equipment.
- Maintain equipment and inventory and ensure that materials are stored, cared for and cleaned properly. Request new supplies as needed.
- Maintain records and prepare reports as required.
- Provide educational lectures on various topics to be determined.
- Work collaboratively with other service providers to present programs and presentations to participants on various topics.
- Take advantage of community events to build relationships within the Akwesasne community.
- Assist with providing alternative ways to promote mindfulness practices and healthy lifestyle education.
- Exhibit dependability, patience, punctuality, self-control and enthusiasm.
- Promote a friendly, welcoming and positive environment at all times.
- Be available to work flexible hours, which may include evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervise, plan, and implement daily activities for participants.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The successful candidates will have strong educational leadership abilities and be knowledgeable of the unique needs of participants. Due to the sensitive nature of information maintained in educational and health services facilities, HLF must maintain strict confidentiality at all times. Able to work flexible schedules; i.e. after school and evening time frames. Be self-directed to seek support and guidance that will ensure positive program growth and development as community needs are identified.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Strong oral and written communication skills required. Direct community engagement/community building experience. Hands-on youth development experience including developing and facilitating mindfulness programming.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Must obtain HFL certification within one year of employment and maintain certification
- Must be 18 years of age
- Able to work with at-risk clients
- The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
- The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
- The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check, as well as, a State Central Registry Clearance prior to employment.
- I have reviewed this Job Description with my immediate Supervisor and I understand the contents of it.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.