Project Controls Specialist - Construction
January 1, 2021
Arnprior, ON, Canada
M. Sullivan & Son Ltd. (Sullivan), one of Canada's oldest family-owned construction companies located in Arnprior, Ontario, is currently looking for a Project Controls Specialist. We provide a dynamic work environment and offer a competitive salary and benefit package.
The Project Controls Specialist is responsible for improving, implementing, and maintaining a standardized schedule and cost control processes within Operations. The Project Controls Specialist will work closely with Project Managers to prepare schedules and reports, establish baselines, and identify and communicate deviations from planned progress on a portfolio of projects. They will work cohesively as a member of each Project Team and will assist with the realization of project and business goals.
While the Project Controls Specialist is responsible for a multitude of duties, the main functions include:
- Establish the project breakdown structure for the schedule
- Translates the estimate into a project budget while maintaining the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Provide recommendations on project logic and productivities to establish activities, durations, interrelationships, critical path, and resource loading
- Produce Level 1 to Level 5 schedules (proposal submission schedules, main project schedules and look-ahead schedules) with input from the estimating and project teams
- Maintain schedule and cost baseline integrity and document occurrences impacting performance.
- Update the budget and contract schedule with approved changes to the scope of work
- Update schedule progress regularly in collaboration with the project team and present schedules to the management team, subcontractors, and customers
- Interface with Finance department and the project team to determine actual costs
- Compare progress to actual costs, and establish performance data and metrics
- Analyze cost and schedule variances and identify trends and risks
- Maintain quality and accuracy of the project schedule and cost reports
- Facilitates/train job sites teams in pull-planning workshops where two- and six-weeks schedules are developed
- Comprehensive understanding of construction contract documents, terms and processes
- Ability to analyze project data and identify trends
- Excellent time management and organization skills while working under minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Knowledge of the use of modern planning and scheduling principles, methodologies, techniques and tools
- Ability to negotiate sub-trade task and work package durations
- In-depth knowledge of building and sitework construction and project management principles
- Comprehensive understanding of construction sequences and coordination challenges
What You'll Need to Succeed
- 2+ years of site experience in the construction industry with an additional
- 3+ years of Project Management experience
- Post-secondary education in Engineering or a related field of study
- Proficiency in Primavera (P6)
- Proficiency in MS Office suite with advanced experience using Excel
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Level Government clearance
Sullivan is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please note your accommodation requirements in your cover letter.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.