Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
July 30, 2021
Akwesasne, NY, United States
Job Code: 29-1141
Status: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Family Support Building
Department: Family Support Program
Reports To: Program Manager
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Registered Nurse is responsible for the planning, development, implementation, continuation, monitoring and improvement of the health portion of programming for the Family Support Program. The Registered Nurse manages the health care needs of all consumers residing in the IRA Program to ensure all necessary screenings and all areas of health care are being met. The Registered Nurse will serve as an advocate to all of the consumers in their care to ensure their health, safety, and welfare. The Registered Nurse will make themselves available to all staff via the agency’s on-call system at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide nursing oversight to all OPWDD programs within the Family Support Program.
- Provide Information and training for Residence, Day and Respite Supervisors regarding the ongoing medical care of the consumers who participate in these programs.
- Maintain documentation of care, observations and findings. Maintain medical records as dictated by the policies and procedures of each program.
- Establish guidelines for infection control and provide information to staff as needed and as specified by program guidelines.
- Work in cooperation with program manager, supervisors, nutritionist and physicians to establish dietary guidelines as they pertain to any diagnosed medical condition, and ensure oversight of dietary plans with regard to proper nutrition.
- Provide guidance to all staff with regard to dietary restrictions, emergency procedures and routine medical care.
- Develop documentation guidelines for charting, obtaining prescriptions, medical consultations, and medication administration records.
- Administer PPD testing on an annual basis to staff and consumers.
- Assist in the admission, discharge or transfer of consumers with regard to medical needs and follow up medical care.
- Develop nursing care plans for consumers in accordance with OPWDD regulations and train staff to implement them.
- Develop and update medical histories.
- Oversee certification of IRA and Day Habilitation employees in medication administration. Provide Medication Administration training to Family Support employees.
- Assist with medical appointments as needed, including transporting consumers utilizing agency vehicles.
- Provide health trainings to all Family Support Employees, such as OPWDD approved Diabetic Course and Infection Control.
- Visit each consumer on a weekly basis or more dependent on health care needs.
- Triage medical concerns over the phone and make appropriate nursing decisions when necessary, including being on-call at all times.
- Perform other duties as directed by IRA Manager.
- Provides direct supervision, support and guidance to the Medical Liaison.
- Other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Registered Nurse is responsible for the supervision of the Medical Liaison.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Current NYS licensure as a Registered Nurse. A minimum of one year working as a nurse on a Medical-Surgical unit OR two years in the field of developmental disabilities. Knowledge of OPWDD regulations is preferred.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process.
This position mandates employees to report to or remain at work in the event of an emergency, crisis situation or staff shortage until relieved by their immediate supervisor.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Possession of a valid State Driver License in accordance with Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.