Summer Student - Training & Events Assistant
May 14, 2021
Ottawa, ON, Canada
POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Training & Events Assistant, Student Term Job Profile
AFOA Canada is the national centre for excellence and innovation in Indigenous management, finance and governance. Established in 1999, the Association is the only organization in Canada that focuses on the capacity development and day to day needs of Indigenous professionals working in all areas of management, finance and governance - today’s leaders and those of the future.
AFOA Canada is looking for an energetic student to provide administrative support to the Training and Events team. This position will provide support and assistance to the Manager, Training and Events by scheduling meetings and recording minutes, preparing and distributing correspondence, and designing and revising documents (e.g., reports and spreadsheets). The work includes uploading materials to our education platform, analyzing past conference attendance and updating statistics and other related duties as required.
The Training and Events Assistant must be a First Nation or Inuit secondary or post-secondary student aged 15 to 30 inclusive, registered as full-time student during the preceding academic year and intending to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year. Student must be a First Nations or Inuit youth ordinarily resident on reserve, in recognized communities or on community lands, and Inuit who are residents in Canada, but who reside outside their territory, and are no longer eligible to be funded by their territory. Incumbent must be a Canadian citizen and eligible to work in Canada.
Reporting to the Manager, Training and Events, the Assistant will be a member of the Training and Events team, providing support and a strong client service focus.
- Some post-secondary education in office administration or an equivalent combination of experience, training and education is required
- Experience working in a professional office environment is an asset
- Intermediate experience working with Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel)
- Intermediate experience working with databases and/or software programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Assist in research to enhance education products, as required
- Attention to detail, thoroughness and organizational skills
- Ability to take direction and be a team player
- Additional preference may be provided to those who are fluent in French and/or an Indigenous language
This is a term position at the AFOA Canada office in Ottawa, Ontario. This position may work remotely in which case there may be a requirement to work in the Ottawa office periodically. The hourly salary is based on the Government of Canada’s Student Rates of Pay. Salary step is based on academic level.
The 18-week employment period will be from May 3, 2021 to September 3, 2021. This employment is a part of the Service Canada First Nations and Inuit Student Work Employment Program.
Students who feel they are qualified and attracted to assisting AFOA Canada achieve our goals, please provide your resume and cover letter in strict confidence by to HR-Staffing@afoa.ca. This position will be posted until staffed. Qualified applicants may also be considered for other similar equivalent positions.