Superintendent (Civil) - Sitework
May 8, 2021
Arnprior, ON, Canada
Employment Type Full-Time
Minimum Experience Senior Manager/Supervisor
POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Work Location: Project sites vary from Ottawa to Chalk River depending on project requirements. Company vehicle will be provided.
M. Sullivan & Son Ltd. (Sullivan), one of Canada's oldest family-owned construction companies located in Arnprior, Ontario, is currently looking for a Superintendent. We provide a dynamic work environment and offer a competitive salary and benefit package.
Your New Role
Reporting to the Sitework Manager, the Superintendent is responsible for all aspects of on-site activities related to project execution including but not limited to the coordination of trades and sub-contractors, site safety program, direct supervision of staff, quality management, project cost and schedule.
Projects related to road building, earth moving, shoring, sewer & water, or underground utility installation.
While the Superintendent is responsible for a multitude of duties, the main functions include:
- Plan day-to-day construction site activities and supervise assigned staff by providing training, guidance, work assignments and direction
- Be accountable for the safety of all on-site staff, including providing site orientation as required
- Provide performance management of assigned staff, as required, up to termination of employment
- Ensure quality standards are specified, communicated and achieved and that required quality, engineering or other inspections are arranged for as required
- Work closely with the Safety Officer to develop and manage the project site safety program in accordance with all of Sullivan’s policies and procedures and applicable legislation
- Comply with all relevant regulatory and corporate policies and procedures as well as ensure that staff have proper licenses and qualifications for the work assigned
- Understand and abide by all Ministry of Labour (MOL) regulations, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
- Ensure systems are in place to manage project site safety and environmental concerns (ex. Safety plan, JSA process, pre-job meetings, etc.)
- Participate in the development of and manage the project site-specific environmental program to ensure compliance with Sullivan’s policies and procedures
- Provide valuable input to look-ahead meetings with owners
- Maintain positive working relationships and communication with owners, consultants, sub-contractors, and project team
- Commitment to high standards of procedural safety and regulatory compliance
- Safety awareness as it related to construction site activities
- Commitment to delivering results on time
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications
- General knowledge of all site-related construction activities
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively with others both internal and external stakeholders and partners
- Ability to trust and work collaboratively within a team
- Excellent organizational skills and knowledge of project management, estimating and cost control skills
What You'll Need to Succeed
- 3+ years direct supervisory experience in the construction industry
- 5+ years in the construction industry
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Construction in site layout experience and larger construction projects is an asset
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Level Government clearance
Sullivan celebrates diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or veteran status.
Should you require an accommodation during the application process, please contact us at with the position you are interested in.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.