Surgical Clinical Reviewer
Cornwall Community Hospital
November 30, 2020
Cornwall, ON, Canada
As part of the Cornwall Community Hospital you uphold the mission, vision and ICARE values in order to create a safe environment for patients/clients, families, staff, physicians and volunteers, recognizing 'Patient Safety' and our hospital's 'Senior Friendly Strategies' as a top priority in creating a culture of safety and 'The Workplace of Choice'. Cornwall Hospital is committed to providing an accessible work environment. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment/selection process.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP) is a risk-adjusted data collection mechanism that collects and analyzes clinical outcomes data. Participating hospitals use their collected data to develop quality initiatives that improve surgical care. ACS NSQIP is dedicated to offering hospitals the right tools to assist in measuring relevant clinical data that helps deliver the highest quality of care for their patients. The department of surgery will be engaging in this new program in collaboration with the Ontario Network of hospitals already involved in the program to identify opportunities for clinical quality improvement at Cornwall Community Hospital.
Reporting to the Manager of Perioperative Services, the Surgical Clinical Reviewer is responsible for collecting clinical data on variables such as preoperative risk factors, intraoperative variables and post-operative patient outcomes.
As part of the Cornwall Community Hospital you uphold the mission, vision and ICARE values in order to create a safe environment for patients/clients, families, staff, physicians and volunteers, recognizing “Patient Safety” and our hospital’s “Senior Friendly Strategies” as a top priority in creating a culture of safety and “The Workplace of Choice”.
Other Major Responsibilities will include:
- Validating and Submitting Data through secure web-based system
- Conducting Data Audits
- Meet regularly with Surgeon Champion and quality team to review results
- Work with patients, families, and hospital community members/teams, in the identification quality improvement opportunities.
- Active participation in both ACS NSQIP and ON-SQIN for quality improvement planning and implementation
REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB
- Bachelor’s degree in health care related field or related post-secondary diploma in a health care field
- Thorough knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology, and surgical procedural terminology is essential
- Must complete all training modules and pass the certification examination for Surgical Clinical Reviewer
- Experience in the use of computer and appropriate software
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to interpret clinical documentation
- Ability to observe firm deadlines and prioritize workload on a regular basis
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent time management, decision making and analytical skills
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and as a team member in a small department
- Experience in a surgical service-related area OR experience with chart review requiring a knowledge and//or understanding of surgical procedures
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and with respect in an oral and written format with patients, public, colleagues and other health disciplines
- Demonstrated effective problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and implement change
- Demonstrated coaching, mentoring and teambuilding skills
- Demonstrated commitment to patient safety
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Demonstrated experience in clinical outcome measurement and continuous quality improvement
- Must have demonstrated ability to meet the attendance standards of the Hospital
- Bilingualism is an asset
- Be available for travel and meetings as required
- Applicants must be available to work all shifts and weekends