Accounts Payable Clerk
Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
March 3, 2021
Akwesasne, NY, United States
Job Code: 29-2072
Status: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Health Services
Department: Business Office
Reports To: Purchased/Referred Care Supervisor
Under the direction of the Purchased/Referred Care Supervisor, the Accounts Payable Clerk in Accounts Payable will compile, process and maintain accounts payable of Health Services in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal and regulatory requirements in all areas of the Business Office. The Accounts Payable Clerk assumes responsibility for processing payment of purchased/referred care expenditures to outside providers after the patient’s alternate resources have been utilized.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Enters approved purchased/referred care (P/RC) purchase orders based on the explanation of benefits (EOBs) received from third party payers; enters and processes the approved vouchers for payment of balance owing to third party payers after alternate resources have been exhausted.
- Submits required documentation to supervisor and administration for review of documentation and payment authorization; and submits the approved payment vouchers to accounting for check processing.
- Reviews EOBs and confirms that all purchase orders are linked to an authorized episode of care.
- Creates PRC purchase orders and payment vouchers on a daily basis.
- Ensures the vendor name, vendor amount, and the correct payment funding source, referral and service class code are properly applied to each transaction.
- Initializes batch files and semi-weekly check runs and posts each claim to the patient chart.
- Print, sort and mail check, including the Health Services EOBs, to third party payers.
- Responsible for filing of all documentation in sequential order.
- Assists Business Office Manager and Purchased/Referred Care Supervisor with Medicare reimbursements, patient consents, and distribution of payments to eligible members.
- Trains new/inexperienced staff in accounts payable.
- Processes ACH/EFT requests for purchased/referred care payments.
- Scans documentation in OnBase electronic filing software.
- Assists in the development and modification of Business Office policies and procedures.
- Attends meetings/trainings as requested by the Business Office Manager.
- Assures HIPAA compliance with regard to accounts payable practices.
- Other related duties as assigned (including Patient Registration, Health Information Management, Purchased Referred Care, Third Party Billing, Accounts Receivable, Referrals and Medical Records Coding).
There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and personnel files maintained within Human Resources, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Medical office and/or billing experience preferred and High School diploma or equivalent.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word and excel.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
The successful candidate must submit a PPD prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.