Partridge House Counselor
Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
August 6, 2021
Akwesasne, NY, United States
POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Job Code: 21-1011
Status: Permanent Full-time
Location: A/CDP Partridge House
Department: SRMHS Partridge House
Reports To: Senior Counselor
Summary: The Partridge House Inpatient Counselor is under the supervision of the Senior Counselor and Inpatient Program Coordinator and is responsible to provide alcohol/chemical dependency counseling.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide individual and group counseling to clients to assist in overcoming dependencies, adjusting to life and making changes;
- Develop treatment plans and provide tobacco cessation and compulsive gambling counseling, when needed;
- Provide insight into the 12 steps of A.A./N.A. with clients;
- Maintain clients’ files including admission data, progress notes, staging tools, assignments and case consultation forms etc.;
- Participate in weekly treatment team meetings and case consultations;
- Maintain contact with referral agency by phone and/or written letter while client is in treatment;
- Collaboration with and maintain documentation for county and tribal drug courts, DSS, Franklin County Probation, Federal Probation, and NYS Parole and other professionals to assist with client’s needs;
- Facilitates the involvement of family/significant others in family sessions, family education, and where appropriate, referral to family services.
- Responsible for enduring a safe, respectful, and supportive, and trauma-informed environment.
- Completion of documentation and paperwork to meet NYS OASAS regulations for admission, medical, utilization review, treatment planning and discharge planning.
- Additional training requirements to meet OASAS standards;
- Continue education and training to obtain, advance, and/or maintain level of credential;
- Work in a team based setting and help new staff and interns develop and implement skills needed.
- Must be able to work evenings and/or weekends
- Responsible for client transport when necessary
- Supervise and log in medications.
- Cover family education sessions when needed.
- Other duties assigned by the Senior Counselor, Program Coordinator, or Clinical Director.
Supervisory Responsibilities: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information maintained within the office, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) or Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor Trainee (CASAC-T) preferred.
- Must work towards becoming a Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor Trainee (CASAC-T) in an appropriate time frame, and to work towards becoming a Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abused Counselor (CASAC), and maintain certification.
- Possess individual and group counseling skills.
- Work in a team based setting.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the disease concept of alcoholism, and how the disease affects the family and Native American communities in general.
- Knowledge of addiction treatment settings and an understanding of 12 step support programs are assets.
- Knowledge of cultural teachings and ceremonies preferred.
- Must be 21 years of age and have a valid NYS Driver’s License.
- Good reading, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Must have excellent computer skills.
- Minimum of two (2) years of sobriety (if a recovering person)
- Must not abuse alcohol and/or any other drug for a non-recovering person.
- CPR/First Aid Certified (or willing to be certified within the first three months of employment).
- Successful candidate must submit to a urine drug screen
- Pass a medical screening, have a negative PPD, and a current flu shot.
- Must be able to assist in an emergency situation.
- Native American preference applies.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.